Australian Migration Centre
Sri Lanka Office:
5/6, Railway Avenue, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
Australian Migration Centre
Mon - Sat 8.30am to 5.00pm Closed on Sunday.
(Closed on Mercantile Holidays)

Frequently Asked

Does age matter ?

Yes. You have to be over 18 years and under 45 years

What about qualifications ?

Bachelors degree or 2 years full time Diploma

Different Assessment bodies specify the required minimum qualifications for the occupations. The applicants must meet the relevant assessment Authority’s qualification criteria.

What about my children ?

The PR or the provisional visa will be granted for the whole family including spouse and children

How can I protect myself from dishonest migration agents?

Somebody pretending to be a migration agent might give you false or misleading information to take advantage of your desire to travel to Australia. If you become a victim of fraud, you could lose your life savings, have your identity stolen, or your visa (if granted) cancelled.

There are a number of warning signs you should look out for:

  • They do not advertise a Migration Agents Registration Number (MARN). You can find the number and check their registration by using the search page at the Authority’s website.
  • They ask you to pay up front in cash and provide no receipt.
  • The fee seems extremely high (the Authority lists average charges by registered agents on its website).
  • They do not give you a contract or statement of services and fees.
  • They ask to meet in a public place rather than at their office address.
  • They supply only a post office box or mobile phone number.
  • They claim that: – they can ‘guarantee’ you a visa- this is a once in a lifetime opportunity or your only chance to get a visa- they have a ‘special’ relationship with us- they need to keep the original of your passport, birth certificate or marriage certificate.
How long is my police clearance valid for?

Sri Lanka police clearance valid only for One year from the date of issue.

What is a ‘certified copy’ of a document?

A ‘certified copy’ is a copy of an original document such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of identity that has been authorized (or stamped) as being a true copy of an original.

You should provide ‘certified copies’ of original documents, rather than the original documents.

If I am approved, how long do I have before I must travel to Australia?

This depends on the validity of the Medical examination undertaken and the current police clearance. Usually you will get 8 -10 months time.

Do I have to send original documents with my application?

NO. Coloured scanned copies of the originals are required.

IELTS original certificate will be requested by some assessment authorities.

How can I prove I have competent English?

To prove that you have competent English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

you have achieved a score of at least 6 for each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test that has been undertaken in during three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application you have achieved a score of ‘B’ for each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET) that has been undertaken in the three years immediately prior to lodging the visa application  you hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

Who can translate my documents into English for me?

Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

A translator in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters has more information.

Who can certify a copy of a document?

Any person or agency recognized by the law of the country in which you live can certify documents. All our offices outside Australia have a person who can certify or witness documents. You might have to pay for this service.

When will I get the result of my visa application?

DIBP website has visa processing (  time service standards for each visa.

What if my visa application is refused or my visa is cancelled?

If your visa is refused or cancelled, you might be able to have the decision reviewed by one of the following review bodies:

  • Merits Review Tribunal (MRT)
  • Refugee Review Tribunal (RRT)


  • Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).

The relevant review body is dependent on your individual circumstances. Not all decisions to refuse or cancel a visa are reviewable by these review bodies.

You cannot apply to have a decision reviewed by the AAT if the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection personally decides to refuse or cancel your visa under section 501 of the Migration Act 1958.

I know I need to travel to Australia before the initial entry date on my visa but am I required to migrate to Australia before this date as I have a home to sell and/or other assets to dispose of?

Yes, traveling to Australia before the initial entry date is a must. It is not possible to change this date. If you fail to meet this requirement, your visa will get cancelled.

Who is an ‘exempt person’?

The following people are called an ‘exempt person’.
These people can provide immigration assistance for a visa, but only if they do not charge you a fee:

  • your spouse, parent, brother, sister, child or adopted child
  • your sponsor or nominator
  • parliamentarians (State or federal) and their staff
  • members of diplomatic missions, consular posts or international organisations.

If you are applying in Australia, officials whose duties include providing immigration assistance (for example, legal aid providers or departmental staff performing their duties) are also exempt people.

Get in Touch

Our expert Migration Agents can assist you in choosing and applying the suitable visa for you. Fill in the form below and our team will get back to you on your assessment.